Dapper Apple Cosy Tutorial

Red haired amazona free pattern

Last Spring I made an Apple Cosy for my niece to gift to her teacher. I had been experimenting with amigurumi so it was fairly easy to whip up a round shape. I made this in just an hour or so!

free fruit cosy pattern

I have lots of little boxes and bottles with a kajillion buttons so this was a good excuse to use some so I could say to my family:

"Yes I absolutely do need and use those buttons. No, I am not a crazy craft hoarding freak. Now shut up and go and not look at my hoarding shame. And clean your room or something. Love you. Mwah."

Would you like to make one? You would? Oh, you wouldn't. Ok. Fine
free crochet pattern


crochet free pattern

But just in case you change your mind, here's the pattern:

What'll you need?

20-30gm of 4 ply cotton of main colour yarn (I have used a variegated green & yellow)
10gm of 4ply cotton in a contrasting yarn for the final row. (I have used red here)

3.5mm crochet hook
A button
Thread
Scissors
Stitch Marker
Darning needle

Abbreviations:

Ch: Chain
Sc: Single crochet
Inv dec: invisible decrease (tutorial can be found here)
 

Let's get started:

For those of you not familiar with amigurumi patterns, when a pattern line reads: (2sc, 1 sc), this means crochet 2 single crochet in the first stitch, then 1 single crochet in the next stitch, and repeat this sequence around until you reach the end. Then similarly for the subsequent rounds. Always mark your first stitch with a stitch marker so you know when to start the next round.


Starting with your main colour and remembering to use the stitch marker to keep track of the beginning of each round:

Round 1: Crochet 6 single crochet in a magic ring. (6)
Round 2: 2Sc in each stitch around. (12)

cat stitch marker
Round 2 completed. Meow.
Round 3: (2sc, 1sc) 6 times. (18)
Round 4: (2sc, 1 Sc in each of the next 2 stitches) 6 times. (24)

Round 4 completed! Purr..
 
Round 5: (2sc, 1 Sc in each of the next 3 stitches) 6 times. (30)

Round 6: Sc in each stitch around. (30) 

Round 7: (2sc, 1 sc in each of the next 4 stitches) 6 times. (36)

Round 8: Sc in each stitch around. (36)

Round 9: (2sc, 1 sc in the next 5 stitches) 6 times. (42)

Don't panic! I haven't changed colours yet! I used one of those variegated yarns for this cosy.

Round 10- 14: Sc in each stitch around. At the end of Round 14, this is the last 'round'. Keep your stitch marker in the same starting stitch. Now Ch 1 and turn. 


We now start working on the section in rows to create that little buttony peephole thingo.

Row 15: Starting in the same stitch as the Ch1, sc in each stitch around to where you left the stitch marker. Remove the stitch marker and sc in that last stitch. Do not join to the beginning stitch.  Ch1, turn.

Note here where at the beginning of this new row, I stopped working in the round, I crocheted 1 chain, then turned and worked a row. Don't join here! You need a gap!
Row 16- 18: Sc in same stitch as beginning Ch1, then in each stitch around to the end of the row. Ch1, turn.

This is how the gap should look like!
At the end of Row 18, join in your contrasting colour for this last row. Ch1, turn.

 
Make sure to pop in an apple to check sizing. If you are making a cosy for something bigger such as an orange, you can repeat as many extra SC rows as you need.
 

Row 19: Sc in same stitch as beginning Ch1, then: (inv dec, 1 sc in the next 4 stitches) 6 times. then inv dec, and sc in last 3 stitches

When you have completed the last sc, then Ch 9, then join with a slip stitch to the back of the last single crochet stitch to form a loop (to slip over the soon to be attached button!)
Finish off and sew in all ends.



On the other side of the gap, sew on the button and you're done!

Position your button on the other side of the gap from where you crocheted the loop.

Did you make one? Fantastic! I'd love to see it. Can I? Great! Come and share it on the old Facie page!

free pattern red haired amazona
crochet red haired amazona
red haired amazona
That ain't an apple! For this orange cosy, I added an extra row or two of single crochets in the 'split section' to allow for the taller fruit.

If you did enjoy my tutorial or any others you've found on my little blog.  Many of my tutorials are free for everyone, however if you'd like to make a little donation, it would be gratefully received and contribute towards future free tutorials!



Comments

  1. Cute apple cosies and great colours. Love your little Siamese stitch marker. We bred Siamese for many years - wonderful creatures ! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dorothy! The stitch marker is a silver charm that was on a charm bracelet that was given to me when I was a girl. The bracelet is now too small and delicate to wear so I attached some of my favourite charms to stitch marker clips so I can keep enjpying them!

      Delete
  2. These are really sweet. I too have a bazillion buttons which I also need/love/plan to use one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've bookmarked your pattern for my next attempt at a crochet project. Very cute and useful. No one likes a bruised apple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think supermarkets should sell apples with a cosy on....no more bruised apples and who could resist an apple with a brightly coloured crochet cosy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oohh they're lovely, and the buttons too. I wouldn't want to eat the apple though, I'd just want to look at it in its cosy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Red Haired Amazona on Etsy!