A Crochet Harry Potter Gryffindor Scarf for Book Week

Harry potter crochet beginner crochet easy quick fast

Sonofagun No. 2's school celebrated Book Week the other day.

On Tuesday.

When did I find out about it?

On the Thursday before.

Then I was sick as a dog from Friday to Saturday night with tonsillitis.

SICK AS A DOG.

But thank you Mr Antibiotics for inventing those. Because I quickly recovered.

It was at about 3am Sunday morning I sat bolt upright in bed and thought:

"Holy librarians! The frigging Book Week costume parade is in 2 days!"

When I woke up only 4 short hours later, I quizzed the little Grommit (remember Aussie kids are so affectionately named, and I am not referring to the very small plasticky things that are inserted into someone's ear when they have too much earwax) on what book character he'd like to go as.  

At 3am I had briefly entertained the idea of the super easy cop out of Where's Wally.

Sonofagun No. 2 (bless his nerdy little butt cheeks) chose a character close to both our hearts:
Harry Potter.

After realising I had nothing Potterish apart from the entire book collection, DVD collection, the Lego Playstation game and a few twigs in the pear tree outside to use as a wand I called the local costume shop.

They totally had a Harry Potter costume! In his size!!

We raced down. Great Whomping Willows! The 'costume' at a whopping $44.98, was a cloak.

Just a cloak!

Yes, I'm ashamed to say I coughed up the dough.

They also had an assortment of glasses. A local department store had white school type shirts and blackish (supposed to be grey) pants.

Then I found this photo on The Google:



Something to make this costume so much more very, very Hogwartsy.

And so began my quest to crochet a Harry Potter Gryffindor Scarf.


Now there are a stack of Gryffindor scarf knit and crochet patterns on the interwebs.

I didn't use any of them but made up my own.  I have the wool, the hook and a thinking brain.  So I just put those things together, said Accio scarf and it happened.

By Monday night I had finished the scarf ready for my 6 year old Harry Potter.

Presenting Sonofagun No.2 suited up!



And I'll share this little 'pattern' with you.

If you've ever read my patterns, you'll know I use lots of photos and long descriptions.

NOT TODAY!!

This is super easy beginner level crochet here folks!

It is so straight forward and easy, I'm giving you the super speedy version.
Also it's because I just made it and released it's awesomeness into the world without any progress photos. Sorry about that.

Yarn:

100gm of Burgundy yarn

20gm of yellow yarn.

4.0 mm hook
3.5 mm hook.

American crochet terms used.

In Burgundy, get your 4.0 mm hook and chain 26.

Switch down to the 3.5 mm hook 

Row 1: DC in 3rd chain from the hook and in each Ch across.  Ch 2, turn.

Row 2-8: DC in each dc of the previous row. 

At the end of the 8th row, change colours to the yellow. Ch 2, turn.

Row 9: Repeat Row 2. At the end of the row, change to burgundy. Ch 2, turn.

Row 10: Repeat Row 2. At the end of the row, change to yellow. Ch 2, turn.

Row 11: Repeat Row 2. At the end of the row, change to burgundy. Ch 2, turn.

Continue to repeat in the colour sequence:

8 rows of burgundy,
1 row yellow,
1 row burgundy, 
1 row yellow.

Until you have 12 'sequences', or 132 rows.

Then complete with 8 more rows of burgundy, then finish off.


Gryffindor scarf

Then make tassels as long as you like ( I made mine about 6cm long) and add every 3 dcs at each end, giving 8 tassels on each end and VOILA!

Snape



Mischief Managed!

If you did enjoy my tutorial or any others you've found on my little blog.  Many of my tutorials are free for everyone, however if you'd like to make a little donation, it would be gratefully received and contribute towards future free tutorials!


Comments

  1. MUM-*MAGIC*!!
    :-D

    BTW, hope you're on the mend! -- Been decades since I last had tonsillitus.
    Anyhoo, once it and the meds are done, try using some chewing gum containing XYLITOL. Most "health" food stores [here anyways] carry it. I prefer the cinnamon flavour myself. It's apparently an anti-bacterial... Helps prevent throat & ear infections. Also comes as drops - good for young babies in preventing infections. Whenever I get the slightest throat rawness, I pop a gum in, then wrap it around half an aspirin! Usually does the trick. BUT, check with a Pharmacist FIRST before using it while still on the meds!
    *hugs*!
    :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! This winter I've been following a tip from a friend of mine for colds and sore throats which is to mix half a teaspoon of cinnamon with a tablespoon of honey. Apparently both are antibacterial!
      Id actually never had tonsillitis before. I couldnt believe how tired and headachey I felt. But all better now thanks Auntie Shan! Hope its not so stinking hot up your end of the world!

      Delete
  2. Going to make one of these for my little this Christmas, but I'm refusing to make it with 3.5mm hook - I'm going up one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Red Haired Amazona on Etsy!