Rules for Kids: let Mum pee alone. K, thx.

This image may or may not represent some of what this weeks blog post is about.
Image source unknown, but not mine. K, thx


As a human being and a mother, I don't have many strict rules for my kids.


There's the usual like:

  1. Don't make people dead or hurt.  
  2. Don't lie to Mum.  
  3. Don't do drugs until you're old enough to not be living with Mum and not the really, really bad ones. Which is most of them. And after that don't tell Mum. And do all that while obeying Rule No.2.
  4. Don't be mean to other people or animals. 
  5. Treat everyone with respect. Unless they are being an asshole to you. Then take the high road and find clever ways to get back at them without being an overt asshole (eg don't be racist, sexist, xenophobic, homophobic, etc etc), so they don't realize you've made them look stupid until you're far enough away that they can't hit you. 
  6. Don't disrespect Mums music. Holy Janice Joplin you'll be in trouble if you speak against the mighty Foo Fighters or any band Mum has a tshirt for.
There are a few others which generally confirm to societal norms, or I make up on the spot, but one of the more important ones is:
  1. Unless the kitchen has exploded, ninjas are busting through the front door or you really need to use it yourself, Don't bug Mum while she is on the toilet.

Now I don't know about you but there are certain places where you should just be left in peace. The toilet is No.1 on my list.

In your household, how many times do little people come banging down the door, yelling random things at you through the door, or even try and come in to tell you something while you're in there?

As parents and as human beings aren't we all entitled to a little peace and privacy while we take care of our least attractive bodily functions? We don't have to share EVERYTHING with our families. Sure we should do everything we can for our babies but we don't have to sacrifice ALL OF THE THINGS for our kids. Like time alone on the loo. Who wants to have pairs of little eyes watching you wipe your bum? Seriously Ladies!

Some people are totally ok with leaving the door open and having conversations with any passersby while having a pee. Some couples view this as a sharing part of their relationship.

Not this Amazona.

From a young age, when little people come yelling down the corridor, "MUUUUUUMMMM!!! THE TV ISNT ON/ I WANNA BISCUIT/ CAN MY MATE BRUCE COME OVER? MUMMMM THE CROC ATE MY HOMEWORK!!!!"  while I'm ensconced in the old water closet, I first ask:

"Do you need to go to the toilet?"
"No"
"Is the kitchen on fire?"
"No"
"Are there ninjas busting down the front door?"
"No"
"Are you dying?"
"No"
"Then it can wait till I get out!"

In the Bears previous relationship, he was used to being walked in on while on the throne by all members of the family for any reason at all. And he'd sit there, sigh and answer their questions.

After we started dating, he relayed this information to me.

I looked deep into his lovely green eyes and said, "Babes. I love you and I promise I never, ever, EVER want to walk in while you're on the loo and talk to you about ANYTHING! Your peace in the throne room is guaranteed."

I think that's when he fell in love with me.

So it was startling when the other evening I happened to be in there (let's not go into details Ladies), and Sonofagun No.2 comes thundering down the hallway. For an 7 year old he does an awfully good impression of a herd of elephants.

SOG2: "MUUUUUUMMMMM MUUUUUUUMMMM!!!!!!!"

Amazona says through the toilet door: "What? Is every thing ok? Do you need to wee?"

SOG2:  "No."

Amazona: "Is the kitchen on fire?"

SOG2: "No"

Amazona: "Are there ninjas busting down the front door?"

SOG2: "No"

Amazona: "Are you dying?"

SOG2: "No"

Amazona: "Then it can wait!"

SOG2: "But it's important!!"

Amazona: "What is it?"

SOG2: "I have to tell you there's something bigger than the Milky Way. It's the Universe. And in the Universe is like, stars and other planets, and like they're bigger than Earth. And like, there's kabillions of other Milky Ways and other universes in this bigger thing called the Multiverse. And yeah... Can I have ice cream?" Yep. Hello parenting.

It's so been so wonderful having a growing teenaged Sonofagun No.1. Now he can reach the top cupboard for mummys wine glasses when she needs a Medicinal Moscato.
 
In other news, apparently it's Spring.

But down here in Melbourne, long sunny Spring days have been few and far between #crazymelbourneweatherisgivinglocalsthes**ts


On the occasional sunny day, I've been enjoying the beautiful scent of jasmine, sweet peas and crab apple blossom. I love those scents!

One of my potted roses is also blooming. I seem to have lost the label but I think this is one of the David Austin roses.


I haven't really done anything in the garden this year. It is a bit of a mess. But the regulars keep coming back each year...




This morning the weather was really windy, with clouds threatening rain, and some sun. I decided to take a long walk along the local beach. Despite the wind, it felt good to stretch my legs after a yummy big breakfast of bacon & eggs.

The rain stayed away from our part of the city, while a storm whips up in the middle of Port Phillip Bay (on the right of the photo)




Some beautiful roses from someone's front yard.

I have been steadily working on a project with my Best Bloggy Buddy Vicki from Off the Hook. It definitely has been a challenge to create something with a 100gm skein of variegated yarn, that's for sure! Stay tuned for that one!


Whenever I need to take a break from focussing on one project, I go to my messy tray of bright cottons and whip up a mandoily (mandala/ doily).






I love experimenting with the colour combinations. I am not exactly a colour expert. I don't find it easy to choose palettes (that's why I have a whole Pinterest board devoted to colour combos!)

The challenge with going round and round using different stitches is keeping it even so the circle doesn't get too tight from too few increases, or start to buckle from too many increases.  Alot of frogging happens!

xox
Louise
The Red Haired Amazona

Comments

  1. Very very funny.... and I thought it was only my children that had to immediately have an answer to something not very important while in the loo... and it never can wait until I'm out!

    Can't wait to see your project... mine is slow going...... but very glad your hook is getting lots of use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubt it is essential for your kids to know what ethics are, letting them know what they should do and what they are not allowed to do. It was indeed some great stuff written.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Red Haired Amazona on Etsy!