Russian Little Girls Cloche Hat Pattern- the spiral one!


Hey Crochet Queens!  

I think I've figured it out!!  

After weeks of studying those gorgeous photos of the beautiful Russian Summer cloche hats for little girls that looks like this...

 


...I THINK I've finally decoded the pattern!

Ta dah!!!


Just a gentle note to advise for those who have encountered this pattern for the first time on my blog, that I did not create this lovely hat pattern. The credit goes to a clever Russian lady

Unfortunately Google translate does not translate Russian crochet terms to English at all, which has left many of us in ANGUISH!!!
When I first attempted to try making this hat, I couldn't find a pattern in english so i decided to try and figure it out myself from the photos. 


There are a couple of different places and clever Crochet Queens who have also provided their own versions of this pattern. One is a group of three clever ladies who posted their version on the Facebook group Crochet Addict. They have also posted their pattern in the comments section of one of my update posts here. 
The other is on the blog Trifle Treasures with some cute pictures of lovely lasses modelling her creations!
I think my version is fairly similar to Trifle Treasures with some small differences to the brim and the way the spiral takes shape.
I should preface this pattern by letting you all know I have never tried to write up a pattern before. I've read many though! So if I under-explain or over- explain stuff please feel free to give me whatever kind & helpful feedback you can :)  

Update 1st of May 2015:

Guess what Crochet Queens!

You can follow the written pattern below or read my latest blog post which has the video tutorials!


So let's pop my crochet pattern writing cherry!
I've chucked in loads of pictures for you all to perve at so this may make for a rather long post!
What do ya need?
2.5mm hook and a 2.0mm hook
 
The yarn: The original hats on the website use 4ply Yarnart Begonia 169m/ 50gm balls. These are a mercerized cotton which makes that nice sheeny look.
I have used Patons Cotton 4 ply which is normal unshiny cotton. No reason. Just coz by the time I realised what the original yarn was, I'd already bought the boring stuff and started crocheting.
 
Notes:
 
The hat consists of 16 sections, designed to be 48cm in diameter.  This should fit your average 2-3 year olds.
To increase or decrease 3 cm, you can add or delete a section. 
 
Each section begins as the Row 1 Double crochet stitch. If you want to make the hat a little bigger or smaller, add or remove a double crochet in the 1st row!
Each row begins with a 3 chain.
 
Crochet Abbreviations:
 
The pattern is written using American terms. All my love and apologies to my fellow Australians for my lack of crochet patriotism and to the Poms for just being confusing, but it's the way I was taught so blame Auntie Chewie (my original crochet mentor). 
Crochet Australia has an awesome webpage that gives you the down low on English to American stitch conversion here.
 
SL ST: slip stitch
SC: single crochet
CH: chain
DC: double crochet
FPDC: front post double crochet
 
So let's start.
 
Using a 2.5mm hook, Ch 5 and close to form a ring. Or do one of those magic ring thingos.

1st row: Ch 3 to form first double crochet. Or start with a Magic Ring. (For a tutorial on how to make a magic ring, click here!) Then 15 dc in the ring. Sl st into the top ch of beginning ch 3 to close. 16DC (including first ch 3)

First row! Isn't it exciting?!?!?!

2nd row: Ch 3 to form 1st DC, then ch 1. In each DC of previous row, front post double crochet, then Ch1 around (FPDC, ch1 etc). When you get around to the end of the round, Sl st to the beginning ch3. Should finish with 16 FPDC & 16ch.

2nd row with front post double crochet stitches 
 
3rd row: Ch 3 in the top of the previous ch 3 of Row 2. In the top of the same ch3 of the previous row FPDC, then ch1. In the top of the next FPDC previous row: DC, FPDC, ch1. Do this in each of the FPDCs of the previous round, then sl st in top of beginning ch 3. When completed you'll have: 16 Dcs (including beginning ch 3), 16 FPDC & 16 ch.

 

4th row: Ch 3. *Ch 1, FPDC in the next FPDC of the previous row, ch 1, DC in the DC of the previous row. Continue from * around until you get to the first ch 3. Sl st in the top of ch 3. Should have: 16 DC, 16 FPDC & 32 ch


 
5th Row: Ch 3. DC in the top of the ch 3 of the previous row, ch 1, FPDC in FPDC of previous row.
Continue in this pattern: Ch 1, 2 DC in top of DC of previous row, ch 1, FPDC in FPDC of previous row. Continue around to the end, then sl st in top of ch 3. Should have 32ch, 32dc, 16fpdc.
 
 
6th Row: Ch 3, DC in the same space (top of the previous rows ch 3), Dc in the top of the next dc of the previous row, ch1, 1 FPDC in top of previous row FPDC, then continue as follows: Ch 1, 2 x DC in next DC, DC in next DC, ch 1, FPDC in top of previous row FPDC. Continue around then sl st in top of ch3. Should finish with 32 ch, 48dc, 16 fpdc. 
*a little bit i accidentally left out. Many thanks to a super clever but anonymous crochet queen who picked up that oversight!
 
 
7th Row: Ch 3, dc in top of the same ch 3, dc in next 2 dc of previous row, ch 1, FPDC in next FPDC, then continue as follows around: ch 1, 2 dc in next dc, 1 dc in next 2 dc, ch 1, FPDC in next FPDC. Once around then sl st in top of beginning ch3. Should finish with 32ch, 64dc, 16 fpdc.  Now we're finished with increases!!
 
Row 7. Now we've got our first row of 4 Dcs! 
 
8th Row: Ch 3, dc in top of the same ch 3, dc in next 2 dc of previous row, ch 1, then skip last DC of the previous row and FPDC in the FPDC of the previous row.
Skipping the last DC in each little group around the hat will start to create an overall spiral effect.
Then continue for the round: ch1, 2 DC in next DC of previous row, 1 dc in each of the next 2 dc, skip last dc, ch 1, FPDC in fpdc of previous row. Continue until the end then sl st into the top of beginning ch 3.

Row 8. See how we start the spiral by doing 2 dcs in the first little dc of the previous row, dc in each of the next 2 dcs then we skip the last dc. We still continue in groups of four and create that gorgeous spiral effect!

Here's a wobbly work- in - progress pic after repeating row 8 about 10 times...

Repeat Row 8 x 15 more times or until you're happy with the length. The hat should now come just above or at your little grommits eyebrows (grommit being a quasi- affectionate Aussie term for child. Also used to describe surfers, and the little plasticky things doctors put into kids ears when they've got too much earwax).

Here's my little crochet model. Sonofagun No.2 happily playing Lord of the Rings Lego edition on the playstation while modelling a girls hat. I didn't actually tell him it was a girl's hat or this photo would never have happened.

Then you change to a 2mm hook and we do 3 rows of single crochet as follows:

The Single Crochet Rows:

Row 1: Ch 1. SC in the same space then sc around into the top of every ch and dc of the previous row for 2 rows. At the end of each row sl st into the beginning ch 1.


Row 2: Ch 1. Sc in same space, then sc in every sc of the previous row.









Row 3: Ch 1, sc in the same space then sc in the next sc, 2 sc in the next sc and continue as follows: sc, sc, 2sc around to then end, then sl st in the ch 1 at the beginning of the row.








BRIM:


Row 1: Ch 3, the FPDC into the same space the ch 3 started from, ch 1, DC into the next sc of the previous row, the FPDC into the SAME sc, then continue around: ch 1, dc in next sc of previous row, FPDC into the same sc. Continue till around, then sl st into the top of beginning ch 3.  

Update:
Clever crochet queen Vicki from Off The Hook For You has a slightly different version of this brim for those of you with a case of the wobbles. For photos and instructions visit her blog!

For a bit of guidance, see photos below...


First do a double crochet in the sc of the previous row.


Then yarn over and insert the hook back into the same SC.


And hook through around the post into the next SC along then yarn over and draw all the way back through.


Like this!  Then yarn over again, draw through 2 loops, yarn over again and draw through the remaining 2 loops like a normal double crochet...


Ta- dah!!!  Don't get too excited. You've got rows of these little buggers left to go.
For the remaining brim rows: Ch 3, FPDC into the top of the FPDC of the previous row, then continue around as follow: ch 1, DC in the top of the DC of the previous row, FPDC in the top of the FPDC of the previous row. Continue around, then sl st in the top of beginning ch 3.




The original pictures and instructions seem to indicate you actually complete 6 of these rows to complete the brim.

I only did 5 because I felt that was enough. You may do more or less to your hearts content!


Last row: sc in each stitch of the previous row. Finish off!!





And here is my finished hat ready to decorate!






I made up various leaves and flowers to see how they would suit this hat.

In the end I went with the teal and hot pink roses and 4 leaves.

The large roses are called the Gratitude Flower which can be downloaded for free from Bonita Patterns .

The leaves are Lucys from Attic 24 which can be found at the bottom of her post tutorial for the Triple Layer Flower .  

The yellow and blue daisy pattern I found on the original Russian lady's website for the cloche hats. She had a photograph of an English pattern for this daisy which wasn't very clear, so I kind of ad-libed a little bit.

I also chose the hot pink ribbon.




And here's the finished product!





Sonofagun No 2 was at school so I used a balloon model.  After he came home from school with a couple of his school friends, I asked if I could put it on him to take a photo, but was tactfully advised by one of friend's that if I were to do so, "IT WOULD BE HUMILIATING!!!!"

So I didn't. Sad face.





 

Phew!  Are you still with me?  I hope so!  

The thing I love about crocheters and the interwebs is that online we become like one big Crochet club.  We might all be huddled on our Puters, tablets or smart phones in the far flung reaches of this big blue ball, but we are all kind of cosied up together crocheting, knitting, chatting and helping each other out.  
Having said that I'd love to hear any questions or feedback on your experiences if you decide to try my efforts at interpreting this pattern.

Oh and I'm sure you're all desperate to know why I went with a pink brim instead of doing the whole thing in the same blue? 
BECAUSE I RAN OUT OF BLUE!!!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! (imagine that I've thrown my head back and am having a big 3 year old cry)
And no yarn stores within a 50 km radius had that colour in stock. Can you believe it?

As I mentioned at the beginning, there are a few other versions out there and if this one doesn't suit then they are also available to try out!

If any of you use this pattern and make beautiful creations of your own I'd love to see them!  Just email them to balibelibear@gmail.com 


xox
Louise

The Red Haired Amazona

Update:  If you'd like to see a few examples of the Russian lady's Cloche hats made by clever crochet queens from around the world, feel free to pop over to my Facebook page Red Haired Amazona Crochets or check out another blog post here.

As I mentioned above, I have also published a post explaining how to make these hats for different sizes which you can view here.

If you have anything similar you'd like to show off, or even your own crocheted Cloche Hats, please email me your photo via the Facebook page or to balibelibear@gmail.com and I'd love to add it to my Facebook album 'Let's all perve at your lovely creations!'

Comments

  1. I am so thankful to you for doing these instructions for these adorable hats. I have 5 granddaughters that I would like to make these hats for so that they can wear them for Easter. Can't wait to get started on them. Not only do you have great instructions, but you are absolutely hysterically funny as well! Love to read your blogs. Thank you for sticking with it and posting the swirly blue hat. That's the one I liked the best. I'm not sure if I can figure out how to send pics when I'm finished, but my daughter may be able to help me with that. I live in New York, my daughters (3) live in Massachusettes and Connecticut, USA. Thanks again. Esther

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Esther! I hope they work out ok for you. Also feel free to let us know if the pattern needs tweaking. I've made 2 of these things now and thought it was ok but another crocheter may need to adjust a stitch here or there. Fingers crossed! I've added an email address to the bottom of the post for anyone who makes their own and would like to send me a photo!

      Delete
  2. Can you please tell me what is the easiest way to sew on the flowers and leaves. Do you use thread or the yarn the same color as the hat or the same color as the flowers? I made one and now do not like the way the flowers are attached to the hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I'm sure everyone has a different technique but for this pattern i attached the leaves and flowers with the same coloured yarn as the hat because i didnt want too much craziness on the inside.
      xox

      Delete
  3. Thanks, I tired that and did not care for the way it looked so I ended up using transparent thread and that seemed to work pretty good

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Louise, thank you for stopping by my blog today. I'm really happy to connect with you. Your crochet is beautiful. My little girl would love this hat. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer. There was so many gorgeous posts and projects on your blog i had to say hello. The potholders on the wall, the crochet matroska dress, the afghans!!! You have a new dedicated reader in me!

      Delete
  5. Louise
    I just started one of these yeah. I think row 6 has an error at the beginning as when I got to the very end I didn't have the three double crochets in the middle of the front post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right! Thank you for picking up on that! I'll fix it up straight away. You're the best!

      Delete
  6. I can't thank you enough for posting the directions. I had tried to make this hat but became confused. Now I can get started, should have time to make one for Easter for granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck making the hat for your granddaughter! I'd love to see how you go with it :)

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for doing this translation. And the pictures, too. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Send me a photo if you finish it!

      Delete
  8. Merci énormément pour ce pas à pas!vous auriez pu tout aussi bien vous contenter d'une grille!encore merci

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok I have to admit I might be biting off more then I can chew...However, I am not understanding on Row 2...I got 16 FPDC, but I dont really understand how you are doing the chains? Can you explain or direct me to an instruction that shows that? Thank You..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! There is a ch1 space between each fpdc. So the pattern is fpdc, ch1, fpdc, ch1 etc. Is that what you mean?
      once you finish the row with alternating fpdcs and chains you should have a total of 16 fpdc and 16 chains.

      Delete
    2. Yes thank you I was reading it differently.

      Delete
  10. You're so kind! Please drop a comment if you make one to let me know how you went. The brim can be the tricky part but I've had some lovely feedback from another blogger and have included her tips as well.
    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would dearly love to get the patterns for the flowers, leaves and stem that is shown on the yellow hat. I can't seem to figure them out from the picture. Is there a link you can help me with?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello!
    If you're referring to the other hat on my post http://redhairedamazona.blogspot.com.au/2015/02/little-girls-cloche-hat-russian-pattern.html
    then I included the links to where I sourced the patterns at the bottom of the post. If you scroll down you can follow the links to the various blogs and websites where the patterns are available to download for free! The leaves are from Lucy's Attic 24 blog, the big rose is called the Gratitude Rose (love that name) from Bonita pattern which is a free pdf document, and the little flowers are from the site Crochet and stuff. The green vine is a crochet chain stitch or surface stitch. There is a nifty tutorial with awesome photos here: http://www.crochetspot.com/how-to-crochet-surface-crochet-or-surface-slip-stitch/

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you sooo much for the English version for this beautiful hat. Once I had worked out the FCDC I was fine. Fascinating to crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is there supposed to be a ch1 after the FPDC in rounds 5-7?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jenstar, yes. There is a ch 1 before and after each fpdc.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Louise, Thank you for working out these instructions. Roughly how much yarn do you need to make one of these hats minus the flowers/leaves?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there!

      If you are using a 4ply 50gm ball I'd recommend buying 2 balls as it needs about 1.5 balls of yarn.
      good luck!

      Delete
    2. Hi Louise and your angels helping you. Thank you soooooooo very much. I was looking at the pattern and cant understand a word, then by great luck I come upon your English instructions. Boy was I surprise and so glad. I start immediately, I will definitive send you a photo when finished.Keep the crochet pens rolling. Kittie.

      Delete
    3. Hi Kittie, i would love to see a photo of your hat when you're finished! I'm glad i was able to help :)

      Delete
  17. I'm on my 2nd try and my hat is flat not hat like I'm on the 4th of the 15 repeat of the stitching of the 8th row will it start looking more like a hat once I get more of the 15repeat rows done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!
      The curve usually starts around row 6-7 just before row 8. Just a slight curve! Then once you start on row 8 onwards it really starts to funnel into a hat shape because there are no increases.
      Im wondering without seeing your project, if there might be sneaky increases? Feel free to email me a photo or 2 or 3 to the email address on my About Me page and im happy to have a look :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply I will keep going and see if it turns out right. I posted as anonymous because I don't have a Google account. I went to see if I could send a pic it won't let me it keeps saying sign into Google. Once I get done I'll let you know if I got the hat shape. Thanks.

      Delete
  18. Row 6, I think it was a typo saying 32,fpdc. Should be 16 if I'm not mistaken?
    The pattern is working out great so far using a 4 ply cotton acrylic blend. Moves much smoother then when I was doing the cotton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well spotted! Thank you for picking that up. I've corrected the error :)
      Glad to hear it's working out with a cotton blend. Were u using 100% last time? Was it mercerized? I really want to try making it with the recommended yarn and see the effect.
      xox

      Delete
    2. It isn't mercerized, but with the acrylic blend it has the smooth feel to it and slides across the hook (love crocheting....lol). Out of all the yarn in my stash I don't have any, go figure! Working on the brim and then some flowers. Will take a pic when finished. Good work on the pattern!!!

      Delete
    3. Sounds like you're using the same type of yarn as me! I've quite liked using it because like you said, it's really nice and smooth to work with. I just wish it was a bit more vibrant and glossy. But then I love bright colours. I look forward to seeing it!
      Xox

      Delete
  19. I just wanted to thank you for this wonderful tutorial! You just made a little girl very happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, I'm working on the second row of the brim; I've left out the ch1 as suggested for a more even finish but it's still looking awfully wobbly! Is that normal? Will it straighten out? As far as I can tell I am doing it exactly as described and everything else has worked so far! Thanks in advance :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah!
      Just a quick question first : are you still using the 2.5mm hook, or is it still wobbly after switching down to a 2mm hook?

      Delete
  21. No I switched to the 2mm hook when told to! Stitch count was correct throughout, my tension is usually just right etc so I'm baffled :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!
      Ok. Interestingly the actual pattern and original photos from the Russian website says do one thing, but many people have more success doing the brim by using the update above (not including the chains) which you have done.
      I've found on the latest one I've been working on and in the original, the brim was still a little wobbly but when I finished it, I stuck it on a balloon (my male offspring refused to cooperate!) and was able to kind of block it in place so there was no more wobble.
      Are you able to email a photo to me? And just out of interest, what yarn have you used?

      Delete
    2. I'm using Begere de France cotton 4ply. I've just finished the second row (they take a while don't they?!) and it's still super wobbly. I will email a photo in the morning (it's almost midnight here in the UK) and try it on my 4yr old and see if I can block it to shape a bit that way! Even if it stays wobbly, it's still mega cute. Thanks so much for your super speedy help x

      Delete
    3. I've finished! The brim is still a bit wobbly and the hat is a teensy bit big for my not-quite-4 year old but she loves you. I'd love to send you a photo, what email address can I send it to please?

      Delete
  22. Absolutely adore these hats!! However when I tried to make one it turned out way too big. Would never fit a child's head!! Any ideas what I could have done wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!
      How bizarre! Do you mind if i ask what sized hook and what type of yarn did you use?

      Delete

    2. I am having the same problem. I am actually using a smaller hook. 2.35 bc that is what I had on hand.

      Delete
    3. Hi Rhonda. What type of yarn are you using? If you're using a 4ply cotton and it's still working up too large, it might be tension or maybe think about starting with less double crochet stitches in row 1. I should also ask how old is the child you're making the hat for?

      Delete
  23. I just wanted to say thank you for the pattern! I had tried about six other patterns before findings yours and it is by far the best one! I made a couple of slight modifications (mainly to "stiffen up" the brim), but it's your pattern that made them possible, so thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I'd be interested to hear how you managed to stiffen up the brim. I included what was in the actual pattern, but as I've noted in the instructions above, another blogger has given a 'better' way to do it. Many people have mentioned they still have issues so if you've got any extra tips we'd love to hear it!

      Delete
  24. I used a 2.5 mm hook to do the main part and a 2.0 for the brim. The yarn was Bernat softie baby light 3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! If you are the same person above who's hat came out too big, the only thing i can think of without seeing a photo is maybe there was a problem with the tension?

      Delete
  25. Thank you so much for the instructions. I made an adorable hat for my granddaughter and I was proud of myself for learning a new pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fantastic! Congratulations Mary Beth! ☆ hugs ☆

      Delete
  26. Thank you so much for these instructions. I can see so much work went into them. I plan to make this for my granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Feel free to let me know if you have any problems with it!

      Delete
  27. Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. The bill in the original looks like HDC or a quad crochet but the quad would be terribly flimsy and the HDC would be firm.
    I noticed your using a double on yours. I have not read the pattern yet though. I am looking to share a pattern to make, to look like Kit Kittredges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brook!
      I spent alot of time studying the original photos and pattern, and the words they used (the badly translated from russian words!) was the term "relief stitch" (in Russian: рельефн) to describe the FPDCs in the body of the hat, and for the stitches in the brim.
      Vicki from the blog Off the Hook came up with what may be a better way of doing the brim than what I was able to figure out from the pattern. I think her way may be different from the original pattern but seems to be a firmer brim.
      Having said that, interestingly different people have come up with differing levels of success!
      If you try using HDCs and find that it creates a better brim, I'd love to hear about it or see a photo.
      I really appreciate everyone's ideas and feedback as this is turning into a truly collaborative effort making this beautiful pattern available for everyone!
      xox
      Louise

      Delete
  29. Do you have a video or you tube thing where you demonstrate how to do this? I am fairly new to crocheting and I am not real sure on how to do the FPDCs and then chain part. Sometimes if I see you do it I can understand it better. So I was just curious Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!
      i dont have any videos but i found quite a few by doing a google search for front post double crochet youtube.
      heres just one of many
      https://youtu.be/kYJs42RUfuc
      the chain stitch after each fpdc is the most basic crochet stitch and there are videos on youtube for that as well.
      hope this helps!

      Delete
  30. Thank you so much for all your work. am looking forward to trying this.
    Have recently learned to read crochet symbol charts and discovered this same hat on pintrest with the symbol chart for it. I am not quite at ease with just the chart so will use your wonderful tutorial along with the chart. Thanks so much again.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Working on this and I got to the first row of the brim. You say to do an sc in each ch and dc... But should I be doing sc in the fpdc as well? I'm pretty tired so maybe I'm just confused. It looks like you do sc in the fpdc from the pictures, so I'll try that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, it's the first row of sc rows that I'm confused on...

      Delete
    2. Hi Anna. Yes you do a sc into every stitch including the fpdcs. :)

      Delete
    3. Alright, thanks!
      And thanks so much for writing up this pattern! Saved me so much time!

      Delete
  32. Thank you So MUCH! I just made my first hat yesterday. Have to do the flowers, but I am so excited to have my little girl wear it. I have been looking for the English version!
    Evie

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Louise. Own...thank you! I will make for my cousin. You saved my day, here in Brasil!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi, I also saw these hats on FB and because of them I said, "I have to learn to crochet so I can make them!" So I taught myself the basics and found a video (in Russian) of these hats being made: http://wonderfuldiy.com/wonderful-diy-pretty-panama-hats-for-girls/ It took me 20 hours to make my first one by studying that video, and using a purchased pattern from Kendall's Creations called Spiral Sun Cloche. One variation is that these 2 sources have 2 chains after the FPDC once you reach round 8. I have since made another 4 hats for my grand daughters. I have a question about the brim, though. Does adding an increase to the 3rd row of SC make the brim flair out nicely? I must have put too many FPDC/DC in a couple of mine because the brim is real wavy. I'd post a pic but there is no way to do it in this field. Thank you for your tutorial! I love your writing style. "Son of a gun #2", ha! ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Well done at making 4 hats!
      The brims have been interesting!
      Most people have no problems but many people say they also get a wavy brim. Adding the extra sc's in the 3rd row to seem to make it flare out a bit more. The photos from original russian website show this and worked out nicely for me.
      My friend Vicki from the blog Off the Hook has an alternative brim version which seems to eliminate the wavy brim problem. I've included a link to her blog in the tutorial above at the steps for the brim. Maybe you could give her version a try!
      Thank you for your lovely comments!
      Xox Lou

      Delete
  35. hi, I love this and would love to make adult sized for my big headed teens! how would you make it bigger? thanks x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynne! You might need to experiment but increasing and decreasing happens in the 1st row where you first do 16 double crochets. If you're using the mercerised cotton yarn and a 2.5mm hook, adding a dc will ultimately increase the diameter by 1.5-2 cm. Alternatively using a bigger yarn like dk and a larger hook but following the normal instructions will make a larger hat.
      xox Lou

      Delete
  36. First, let me tell you thank you so much for translating this pattern! I have had so much interest ever since last summer but I knew I couldn't even begin to figure out from pictures what the stitches were! I am making a hat for a 4 year old right now and I also have an order for a 2 year old. I have been writing to Vicki because she made one for her 4 year old. I am using mercerized cotton yarn, sport weight, that I found at Hobby Lobby. I am using 3.75 and 3.25 hooks. When I crocheted 16 sections the hat looked really big to me. So I borrowed a friend's 4 year old to try the hat on her. It looked like I could remove at least 2 sections and it would fit great. Vicki said that she used 15 sections to make the hat for her little girl. It may be because of the yarn I have and using slightly bigger hooks. But then I found a chart that said for a 4 year old I should measure from the crown to the bottom of the ear to be 7.25 inches. This looked much too long to me so I asked Vicki again what her measurement was and her measurement was only 6.25 inches! So I frogged a little again and shortened the hat and then only put 3 rows on the brim and it looks much better! My question for you is this, have you made a hat for a younger child than a 4 year old? If you have, do you know what the measurement was from the crown to just above the ear, or just before the single stitches for the brim? If you do that would be really helpful for me to guess how long to make the hat for the 2 year old. The person who ordered these hats only told me their ages and that they are average sized children! *sigh* Not very helpful, but I told her I would give it a try! I really want to conquer this hat pattern, it's so stinking cute! And it's fun to make!

    Thanks for your help and for all the work of translating the pattern!

    The Legal Hooker in the U.S. (aka Ruth) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth!
      I love your crochet name! The Legal Hooker- gave me a chuckle!
      In answer to your question I don't know but I did a bit of research and came across this other blog about sizing for crochet hats for children which seemed really good. http://anniespictureperfect.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/how-to-properly-size-crochet-hats-chart.html
      Hope this helps!
      Kind regards Louise

      Delete
  37. Hi there Louise
    Thank you so much for translating these patterns. They are so gorgeous. I'm still a beginner with crochet but luckily I have a friend that is very good and she helps me a lot.
    Kind regards
    Riana Ebertsohn

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you so much for interpreting this pattern and putting it out there for us to use. I love this hat and have had a great time creating two of them. Would just like to recommend instead of using a single crochet on the last row of the brim, use a reverse single crochet. It not only gives the hat a nice finished look, but it helps hold the brim better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd love to see a photo of your finished hats and if you're willing, display them on the Red Haired Amazona facebook page! I haven't yet used Vickis reverse single crochet on the edge, but on your recommendation I'm giving it a go on a hat I'm making for a friends little girl :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, I can do that, but how do I get to your facebook page?

      Delete
  39. Okay, was able to post a picture of the two hats on your facebook. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found the page Charleen! I was just drooling over your pretty hats and GORGEOUS flowers! Amazing job!!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Louise for the kind words. They were so much fun to make. I just wish we could get a hold of the yarns here like you have. Very hard to find!

      Delete
  40. Im usin number 10 cottin thread double...irs shiny and pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? That sounds lovely. What brand is it?

      Delete
  41. Im usin number 10 cottin thread double...irs shiny and pretty

    ReplyDelete
  42. When I was doin the brim..I ommited the ch.1...it was makin the brim to wobbly

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thank you so much for the English translation. I have this hat all finished except for the last round. I says to do the crab stitch. what the heck is that? I looks like a simple single crochet. Is that correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Crab stitch is reverse single crochet!
      Its like single crochet except you're not moving from right to left, its from left to right. It creates a nice rolled effect.

      Delete
  44. OMG you did an awesome job. Thank you so much for sharing your findings with us.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Great job! I wish I'd found this BEFORE spending hours deciphering the video. One thing I noticed that's different is that, starting with row 8, there are 2 chains before each DC. This allows it to swirl a bit more.
    I've used a sock yarn or thinner baby weight yarn and a larger hook to make adult size hats. For the gauge I test by crocheting a few of the patterns in row 8 and measure the space between the patterns, then multiply by the number of repeats to get the approximate size of the hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One more thing. I like a stiff brim so on the last row I use a clear or white .095 inch (2.4mm) weed wacker wire and single crochet over top of it. Then I do a row of crab stitch. I saw a youtube video that uses a 1/8 inch vinyl tubing too.

      Delete
  46. WOOHOO! Can't wait to try this! So glad you took the time to do this! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hi Louise, firstly can I say thank you so much for your hard work!

    I think I have figured out why lots of people are getting a very wobbly brim - I did too, as the text above reads as if you have to do a dc, fpdc, and a chain, into every stitch, thus trebling the number of stitches. When I stopped this, and just worked each stitch into the next logical spot, it worked out a lot better.

    So, am I right in thinking that I need to dc, and then fpdc around the next post to the left, rather than the one slightly to the right / behind the dc I've just worked? (And then ch1.)

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Sorry for the delay. Have been on holidays!
      Ive included and mentioned above that Vicki from Off the Hook has a great work around for the brim which eliminates the wobbles. Ive kept the above version as its a fairly close translation of the original. Pity it does cause wobbles! If you're crocheting the first row of the brim, you DC, then fpdc in the same space as the DC. In the next rows, you dc in the top of the dc of the previous row, then fpdc in the fpdc of the previous row.
      Hope this helps! Xox

      Delete
  48. I love this cute little hat first when I saw it online last summer but only now getting around to crocheting it. It's a super cute hat and every time I'd look online for a pattern to make it, I'd be like, " they sent the fool further ". . . lol !! I was so very pleased to find it on here and would like to thank you for deciphering this pattern. I try and try to get a pattern just by looking at the hats or caps like you do. It took me parts of three days to get one that I loved but I figured it out by then and it turned out identical to what was on the screen so I sure appreciate what you did for all of us. Thank you kindly from the bottom of my heart. . . you are very kind to share !! Doreen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Doreen! Thank you for taking time to visit! Xox Louise

      Delete
  49. Thank you so much as like everyone else has said you've done a wonderful job translating. I would like to make one of these for myself but I am wondering where do you think I should increase to make for a 60cm head measurement?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Darleen,
      The hat consists of 16 sections, designed to be 48-50cm in diameter. This should fit your average 4-6 year olds.
      To increase or decrease 1.5-2 cm, you can add or delete a section.
      Each section begins as the Row 1 Double crochet stitch. If you want to make the hat a little bigger or smaller, add or remove a double crochet in the 1st row!
      You might need to experiment a little but some lovely ladies have posted pictures of cloche hats they've made to fit adults on my facebook page :)
      Hope this helps!

      Delete
  50. I am sorry but I am confused on row 3 am I suppose to be doing the fpdc around the fpdc from the pervious row or around the dc I am making for row 3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Darcie,
      In the top of the fpdc of the previous row, you first do a normal double crochet, then do a fpdc around that same fpdc from the previous row. So essentially there's 2 crochet stitches worked on the one fpdc of the previous row. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  51. Just found your blog and am very excited to try your pattern! Love these hats and so glad someone else has taken the time to not only figure them out in English, but is also willing to share their insights. Been crocheting for years, but I am not good at experimenting. Ordering yarn today and will send pictures when I get one done. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  52. I've tried your pattern and LOVE how it turned out!! I made three for my sister's granddaughters and they look darling in them. Now I want to do a scarf that will go with them. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      About your scarf question: Oh goodness! I have so many ideas! How about a simple cross over cowl in a lighter shade of the hat colour but with a crochet flower or pompom attached that matches the hat colour? Or a simple matching colour scarf in double crochet with a matching crochet flower?

      Delete
  53. May I ask what brand of crochet hook you are using? mine are Susan Bates and seem to be a bit small for this cotton I am using

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cant remember what brand of hook those ones were. Just generic from the yarn shop. Now I use silicon handled hooks. But it may have more to do with the size of hook you're using for the yarn. What ply is the cotton?

      Delete
  54. This cloche is so adorable! I really want to make one for me! Do you have one for adults?

    ReplyDelete
  55. Hi! These are adorable! A friend wants me to make some for her grandkids ages 4-8. I found the yarn on an Etsy shop, but am wondering how much to purchase. I was thinking 2 balls for each hat plus an extra to make the leaves so there would be leftovers for the flowers. Is this about right?

    ReplyDelete
  56. Nevermind, I re-read the comments again and found my answer. Can't wait to start making these!

    ReplyDelete
  57. I dont know if it was previously asked but how can I make this larger for an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  58. I dont know if it was previously asked but how can I make this larger for an adult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! In the beginning of the pattern I mentioned that the hat can be enlarged by adding extra DCs in the first row to increase its size. Alternatively a bigger yarn and hook will also make a bigger hat!

      Delete
  59. Found your pattern and blog through facebook... hilarious and enlightening thanks so much for a fabulous tutorial.. even as a novice I am going to have a go at this gorgeous little hat .. what's the worst that can happen... I have to start over and over and over .. lol... thanks again for being so entertaining ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen! Thank you so much! Im glad you like my little ramblings! Good luck with making this hat. If you get stuck, feel free to msg me through Facie! Xox

      Delete
  60. Can you tell me how much yarn you need for this hat? You state the kind of yarn but I do not see the amount. Thanks. And thanks for translating this into English. I think it is a lovely pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne! I can't believe after all this time I forgot to mention how many balls of yarn! You will need 2 x50gm balls of 4 ply cotton to complete the hat. Xox Louise

      Delete
  61. I Have been going nuts trying to figure out what to use for this hat. Living in a small town, my options are limited. Looked and looked at the pictures on the Russian Ladies page and it looks so much like crochet thread instead of yarn. I am making two hats in different material. One is Red Heart Fashion #3 100% Mercerized Cotton thread.and the other is Softie Baby 3 ply baby yarn. they both seem to be turning out fine as far as size goes. These whip up very fast and would be easy to change to adult size. Thank you for figuring this out.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Love the pattern for the hat! Thanks so much for taking the time to write it out. I was going to have a friend of mine (She's Russian) to help me figure it out! I would love the other parts to it too: the rose and leaves. I'll have to ask her about it :)
    Again, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  63. Thank you for the awesome pattern. I am trying to make this hat for a newborn. And I'm confused on your measurements. You have it as 48cm for a 4 year old. Which comes out to 19inches for just the diameter. That seems big. Am I just reading it wrong? Could you please maybe tell me how I wild make it small enough to fit a newborn. Or even maybe tell me how many DC I should have on round 1 to make it the right size. Please and thank you for your help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angel! Newborn is super small! Wowsers!
      There are a couple of different ways to make these smaller or bigger.
      One is to decrease the amount of double crochet stitches in the first row. As mentioned above, each dc equates to an extra 2.5-3cm diameter. So measure the head of your bubba and start from there. The way these hats work up while you're crocheting is the radius of the hat widens each row. Then when you start repeating row 8, because there are nofurther increases, it starts to funnel down. So if you are making the hat, at any point before row 7 & 8, if you realize the diameter of the hat will fit your bubba, stop the increase rows and just keep repeating the row you're on without any further increases. xox

      Delete
  64. Hello! So glad to see a pattern for this hat. :) Wondering if there is a way to print it off without all the pics though? I'm not a pro but at least intermediate and I usually work off a paper instead of a computer or ipad. If you can help, thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  65. Hi - thank you so much for the pattern! Just wondering if anyone has made on using DK yarn? If so what sized hook did you use? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire! I havent heard myself. You may need to use at least a 3.5-4.5 mm hook which would make a much bigger hat :)

      Delete
  66. Hi Louise. i hope you can help me. I have made this beautiful hat 4 times now - I keep pulling it out. My granddaughter tried it on and its way to long for her so I pulled removed rows and so on. What worries me is the BRIM!!! its not like yours. I have increased the last row of sc and when we put it on her, it literally just goes down straight and doesn't have that "lip", Its Awful and i need to know what to do. please help

    ReplyDelete

Red Haired Amazona on Etsy!